The Girls’ Run-cation, Part 2

After our second running excursion, we cleaned up in the creek. Seriously. It’s not one of my proudest moments, but what the hey. It got us to dinner quicker than if we would have had to go the whooooooole way back to the B&B. Anyway, after downing some protein shakes and snacks, we drove to Blue Mountain Brewery. Thankfully they have an abundance of outdoor seating, so our “cleaned up” selves weren’t too close to anyone. Whew.

Teeny tiny beers!
Teeny tiny beers!

We started off with some beer samples. I got the Full Nelson (Pale Ale), Blue Reserve, Collaboration Rye Barchetta, Barrel-Aged Weisenbock and Dark Hollow Imperial Stout. I liked them all, but really enjoyed the Weisenbock and the Dark Hollow. (I went on to buy a 22 oz bottle of Dark Hollow and a 22 oz of their special Local Species.) To accompany our beer, we ordered a hummus plate. It wasn’t the best hummus I’ve ever had, but it was good enough for our hungry bellies. The warm flatbreads were scrumptious, as were their house made tortilla chips.

Ho-hum hummus
Ho-hum hummus

We both ordered the tofu reuben sandwiches. I got mine without cheese, but with fries. She got hers with cheese and with the best looking side salad I’ve ever seen. My sandwich didn’t stand a chance; I ate the whole thing pretty fast. It was sooooo good. She took half of hers home. Lightweight.

This photo doesn't capture how good it was!
This photo doesn’t capture how good it was!

After dinner we went back downtown and walked the mall again. We stopped at Mudhouse’s brick and mortar location. I would choose to go there over Starbucks any day. Mmmmmmmm. We weren’t in the mood for coffee, though, so we got dessert. They had a vegan chocolate-coconut cake. SCORE! We eat got a slice. I got a glass of soy milk and she got a glass of regular milk. We sat outside, and happily ate and drank.

Poor lighting + poor camera phone = bad photo of yummy cake
Poor lighting + poor camera phone = bad photo of yummy cake

While we were eating, a fire truck, ambulance and police car pulled up just beyond where we were sitting. We had no clue why they were there. There was no indication of an incident – no shots, no screams, no sounds of breaking glass . . . nothing. When we walked back to the B&B, we saw . . . a drunk guy. A really drunk guy. That’s it. I guess I get why the ambulance and police car were there, but I’m stumped about the fire truck. All I know is it was a waste of resources ($$). Grrrr…..

Sunday morning came quickly, and so did our third run. We headed out to Rockfish Gap on the Appalachian Trail for an out and back route of about 14 miles. It was gorgeous . . . absolutely gorgeous. There were some tough climbs, but overall, not too technical. Our tired legs were thankful for that, though they were getting a lot more running than the day before, which was making them tired in a new way.

There were some really neat sights along the way. When we got up to the top of one of the mountains, we got to some radio towers. There were several metal seats and a small “stage” (a small wooden coffee table). It looked like it was meant to be a stage, anyway. Later, we met a man who told us that there was no sign indicating where the Calf Mountain Shelter was. Let me just say he was wrong; the picture will speak for itself.

Here are some photos from our run:

2013-08-25 08.17.30 2013-08-25 11.55.09

This photo really doesn't show you how tall that mountain is.
This photo really doesn’t show you how tall that mountain is.
The seats at the top!
The seats at the top!
Um....what sign?
Um….what sign?

After our run, we returned to the B&B one last time to shower and pack up. We then headed out for more food. It was time for a long overdue lunch, since we really hadn’t eaten much yet. We hit up the Blue Moon Diner. It was your typical diner (read: non-Central PA), which was most excellent.

The wall of liquor and 5 draft beers
The wall of liquor and 5 draft beers.

We amused ourselves with a short game of Scrabble while we sipped on some coffee and waited for our food.  We didn’t get very far, because the food came up super fast. We split poached pear pancakes and the “vegan garbage scramble”. (I freaking love vegan food. Not only is it good, but it often has great names.) The scramble was tempeh, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, onions and chili. It was fab-u-lous. Oh – and I had a 3Brothers Coffee Stout. Yum.

2013-08-25 14.45.14 2013-08-25 14.51.15

With full bellies, we quickly hit up Integral Yoga, a local health food store. I got some spelt flour, cocoa nibs, hemp granola, a double chocolate vegan cookie, and some fruit purees for Little Dude. This was just a quick stop on our way to Blenheim Vineyards, though. I was so excited to go back there. I kept my glasses from last time, which got us free wine tastings! We each tasted their Chardonnay, Viognier, Rose, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. (I bought a bottle of Viognier and Merlot. The Cab Franc was very good too, but I’m not made of money.) We wandered around the beautiful grounds for a while, and soaked up the lovely un-summerlike summer day before it was time to get on our way.

The Blenheim Vineyard tasting room
The Blenheim Vineyard tasting room

With a little wine in us (very little, mind you) we spent some time visiting Jen’s friends and their new baby boy. After that, we hit up Trader Joe’s. I love me some Trader Joe’s. I quickly stocked up on their Cilantro Jalapeno hummus, coconut cream, blueberries, raw almond butter, and a couple of bottles of cheap-o wine. We also picked up some pre-made meals to eat on the way home. She got a falafel platter thingy, and I got a super yummy spinach, quinoa, pumpkin seed, and dried cranberry salad. I was pretty happy with it. Yum.

After all of that, we finally hit the road and drove home. Jen tried to convince me to take a quick sunset hike on the way home. As much as I wanted to, I wanted to get home. As it was, I knew I’d get home around midnight. Taking the hike would have added 45-60 minutes to that, and I wasn’t game. Next time.

The trip was a lot of fun. We ran about 42 miles, which was the minimum I wanted to do. (Well, my minimum was 40, but close enough). We could have run more, but we had so many other things we wanted to do, and we had to find a balance. If we hadn’t been trying to eat and drink our way through the city, we would have logged a bunch more miles. I think we were tired enough as it was, though. Our bellies were happy too. And it was nice to get to spend a lot of time chatting with Jen. I have no complaints.

Now . . . to start thinking about the next trip . . .





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s