Updates all around

Well crap. I can’t believe it’s been 2 months since I updated this blog. No . . . that’s a lie . .  . I can totally believe it. It’s been nuts for me lately, and I kept sitting down with the intention to write a blog but then something else would come up and I couldn’t do it. So let me give the rundown.


I entered the 3rd trimester (28 weeks) on Thursday. I was extremely nauseous during my first trimester, and everyone assured me the second would be drastically better. I had two cousins who were sick pretty much the whole time, so I knew that wasn’t a guarantee. From weeks 15 – 22 I felt halfway decent. I was suuuuper tired and was taking lots of naps (which I hate), but I wasn’t sick, so that was good. I did have a good bit of acid reflux, but I’ve dealt with that a lot even before pregnancy so it wasn’t something I couldn’t handle. I had aches and pains, bleeding gums, weird cysts on my gums, and a few other weird side effects, but nothing that was too bad.

During week 22, I started experiencing excruciating pain in my chest, near the base of my sternum. When laying down, I felt like someone was trying to saw me open from the inside with a red-hot saw. It was awful at times. Thankfully the most intense pain was fleeting, but there was a longer lasting, less intense one that stayed around for the better part of a few weeks. The doctor said it wasn’t my gall bladder, which was their initial concern, and that I probably just tweaked a muscle at the gym. I don’t quite buy that answer – because no matter what I do, I can’t MAKE it hurt – but I don’t have another one. I’ve dealt with it off and on for the last 5 weeks, and it’s at the point now where it’s not much more than an annoyance. At times, though, it’s accompanied by some nasty nausea, so that stinks.

Speaking of nausea, that came back around the end of week 22 as well. At first it was just for a few hours, during the afternoon. Then it was late morning AND the afternoon. It got to the point of being pretty intense and with me 24/7. I dealt with the 24/7 crap for a week or so, but then just had enough. I was so tired and so nauseous and felt like a failure of a parent to my 5 year old, so I called the doctor again. I had bloodwork done to rule a few things out and ended up on Promethazine. It helped, but the side effect waaaaaas . . . . .sleepiness! So I was even more tired than before. Ugh. I ended up at the doctor AGAIN on the first day of the 3rd trimester because the baby really wasn’t moving very much and they wanted to check on her. They said that her reduced activity was likely related to me not eating or drinking “enough”, so I once again explained the nausea and lack of appetite. The doctor I saw that day put me on a fairly new medication that’s JUST for nausea during pregnancy. IT’S A MIRACLE!! I feel good now and actually have a bit of an appetite. It’s amazing!! I think I’m finally at a good point . . . just in time to get super big and uncomfortable during the heat of summer! YAY!

With 2 of the 3 girls who hosted our baby shower yesterday.


Both my dad and my brother got engaged in the last 6 weeks. My dad and his fiancee are getting married in less than 3 weeks, and my brother and his fiancee (one of my oldest friends in the world, no less) are trying to nail down a date for theirs. Both women are great, and I’m really happy to be adding them to our family.


I took on a part-time job at the beginning of the month. One of my dearest friends in the world was ordained as a Lutheran pastor and is leading a new faith community that meets outside of the traditional church building and tries to appeal to folks who have left the church and/or don’t feel welcomed by it. It’s a pretty cool concept, and our family has been part of the community for much of the last year, in addition to our regular church family. When she accepted her call she decided she needed an assistant and ended up hiring me! It’s a great gig: I am doing something I really enjoy with someone I respect and admire and can work from home for 10-15 hours per week. It’s really perfect!


We are trying to raise the money we need to break ground for Hope Academy in Guatemala asap – ideally this fall. This means that there is a lot of work to be done here on the fundraising side, as well as all of the other work we do. I’ve been working a good bit of hours per week to help accomplish this goal. Again, I’m doing something I love with that same respected and admired friend, so I can’t complain!


A pre-5K photo with Little Dude . . . and what looks like an attitude.

I’ve still been running, but it’s been very erratic. I was doing pretty well at getting in 3-4 runs per week of 3-6 miles, but the last couple of weeks were hard with all of the nausea. S and I did run a 5K in early June and that went well. I finished in 30:02:59 despite a bathroom break and actually stopping for some water. (I’ve never stopped for water in anything under a half, but it was warm and humid and the baby wanted some.) I got in an easy trail run last Sunday with my friend. It was her first ever trail run, so it was perfect timing. The trails felt GREAT – much better than pavement. I won’t do trails alone, though, at this point, nor will I do any that are in any way rocky. I need to stick to smooth, easy stuff right now! Now that I’m feeling better I’m hoping to get back out a few times per week, in addition to my twice weekly strength training workouts. Those are so NOT intense – nothing like the old days -but they are getting my muscles to do a little bit of work, and that’s a good thing. I’ve been happy with the level of activity I’ve been able to keep up. I was hoping for a little more but fearful of a lot less. I’ll take it.

Home life

I cannot get this house clean to save my life. As soon as I clean one area, the 5 year old tornado blows through. Dusting has gone by the wayside, but that’s optional anyway, right?? I got Little Dude’s new room painted and got his furniture moved in. We have to assemble his new dresser and hang some stuff on the walls, but he’s in it and loves it. It’s yellow and will soon be covered in superheroes. Little Avocado’s room is next up, and then after that we have some minor fix-ups to do here and there. It’s never ending!

My little bandit garden is doing well. In my 8′ X 16″ plot of crappy dirt I have 1 cherry tomato plant, 5 kale plants, 2 jalapenos, and 2 pepperoncinis. I planted some marigolds alongside of them to hopefully keep pests away since my kale was eaten 2 of the last 3 years. So far, so good! In pots I have cilantro, 2 strawberry plants, Italian basil, Thai basil and rosemary. I also planted a heliotrope in the hopes that it will attract butterflies. I tried finding some lavender but haven’t had success yet. Everything is doing well. I don’t have the best luck with growing stuff, so my fingers are pretty much permanently crossed.

I really need to get my homeschool s*** together so we can start kindergarten. I am going to start asap and do as much as I can so I can take some weeks off when the baby comes.

S has been super busy with work, and is preparing to go to Poland to work with World Youth Day, specifically with the Pope. They are going to be live-streaming the Pope’s final mass there in 360 degree video.

So that’s life in a nutshell right now. Whew, I’m tired. Good night!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s